Re: Can't use CD-ROM driver after switching to 2.6.11

On 23:47 Sat 30 Jul 2005, Emre Sevinc wrote:
> fz@debian:~$ uname -a
> Linux debian 2.6.11-1-686 #1 Mon Jun 20 22:00:38 MDT 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> however it looks like I simply cannot communicate with
> my CD-ROM device, let alone mounting it, writing CDs using CD writer, etc.
>
> I tried to mount it (testing a good CD which easily mounted
> under kernel 2.4) and it just stuck, hanging, not returning
> to commandline. kill -9 simply didn't work, even reboot command
> was not able to boot the system, I had to do a hard reset.

The reason is: kernel 2.4x emulate cdroms as scsi devices while 2.6x series
restores them back to what they are: IDE devices. That's why you got warning
of ide-scsi that sort of thing.

Try to do this:

1. find whether your cdroms are recongnized as /dev/hd* devices.

Here is my entry for cdroms in my fstab:

/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 users,unhide,ro,noauto  0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom1   iso9660 users,unhide,ro,noauto  0       0

2. try to load modules for ide devices. It is called ide-cd. try 'modprobe ide-cd'
You may want see this part in kernel configuration if you want compiling yourself
or see what happens:

     Location:
        -> Device Drivers
          -> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
            -> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (IDE [=y])
              -> Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support (BLK_DEV_IDE [=y])

   If you say Y here, the CD-ROM drive will be identified at boot time
    along with other IDE devices, as "hdb" or "hdc"

3. look into your lilo.conf or menu.lst of grub and see if you have ide-scsi that
sort of thing appended to the kernel line? If you have, back the config files first
and then delete things like 'ide-scsi'

That's my two cents and hope it helps.

regards

bxuef

--
dhammapada says:

  Unagitated amongst the agitated, at peace among the violent, without
  clinging among those who cling - that is what I call a brahmin. 406