Re: slightly-OT: centralized user management

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:57:17PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> Two things come to mind, neither of which I've used (or used enough)
> to judge their viability.
>
> (1) rsync
>   which I'm told is a way of keeping two file systems in sync with one another

I currently make heavy use of rsync.  I am trying to get away from it
and move to something more automated :-)

> and if you'd like a revision control system,
>
> (2) monotone
>   which I've tried just enough to have trouble with it and still be
> enthusiastic about its potential, even though it is still in active
> development (current version is 0.21) and there may be compatibility
> problems between versions.  Its big plus is that it is totally
> distributed.  It can be used to maintain a database of variants of,
> say, source files even though it has *no* central server.
> It is specifically designed for the case that parts of a team of
> developers may work in isolation, say, on detached laptops, using
> their own copies of the repositor(y/ies), which are synchronised
> when it happens to be convenient.

This might have some promise.  I am personally a fan of CVS and
Subversion for revision control, but Since I am trying to solve a
different problem, this might work.

Thanks for the pointer.

-Roberto

--