Re: slightly-OT: centralized user management

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 02:35:56AM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:

> Not long after I started getting to grips with debian, I asked a similar
> question and a guy call Todd Pytel sent me a lot of info and suggestions
> for solutions (some of it off-list).  You should be able to find the
> thread by searching on the following:
>
> Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 21:44:05 -0500
> Subject: Re: NIS and Samba - can't authenticate Windows 98 clients

I found the thread and there is some good info.  I suspected that LDAP
would be a component of a good non-hacky solution.  But there was
nothing about getting a "roaming profile" type of setup.  I frequently
disconnect my laptop and take it places and I would like to avoid the
manual syncing.  I will likely setup something that also works with
Windows and OS X, since I will likely be adding a Mac in the future and
occasionally boot up to Windows for the odd game that runs too slowly in
Qemu.

> I'm happy to foward you the off-list stuff as well; I am ashamed to say
> that some two years later I've not yet acted on it.  Currently I'm using
> samba mainly to avoid host based authentication of NFS but I too would
> like to find a better solution with centralised authentication.

Please forward the off-list stuff as well.

> The smbclient situation in linux is less than satisfactory but seems to
> be a well kept secret.  I tried xffm, smb4k and a few other network
> browsers; reading files works OK but writing to the shares either
> doesn't seem to be possible or erratic at best.
>
> Consequently, I mount all the samba shares on the debian workstations at
> boot with fstab.  But it would be good to find a (windows like) network
> browser that is 100% reliable or alternatively find a different solution
> with the same functionality.

I am thinking that automount would certainly make this easier, but not
perfect.

> Todd gave me a lot of info that I didn't understand fully; these are
> the sort of networking issues that 'float his boat' ;)  I really need to
> re-read it with the benefit of two years debian/linux experience; it
> will hopefully mean more to me now.

Somethings can only be truly appreciated with the benefit of experience
:-)

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez