Re: install troubles

On Friday 29 July 2005 20:40, Kent West wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>Greetings;
>>
>>I've just today, tried to install the 14 disk set
>
>The first CD has the bulk of what you want. The next few CDs have
> other software, in order of decreasing popularity. The last half or
> so of the CDs are source code, which you probably don't want or
> need unless you're going to be (re-)compiling the Debian packages
> for some reason.
>
>If you have a broadband connection (or are willing to wait, and
> wait, and wait, on a dial-up connection), you only need the one CD
> (or even less, the netinst CD); after the basic install, you can
> pull everything else directly from the net.
>
>> is 3.1 (sarge) onto
>>a drive in a test box, but after the one disk was done, it asked to
>>be rebooted rather than asking for more disks, this despite my
>> using the 'expert26' install argument.
>
>The reboot is to make the kernel just recently installed on the hard
>drive the active kernel, rather than running off the CD's kernel.
> Once that reboot is done, you have a minimally basic system.
> Everything after is pretty much just icing.
>
>It's been forever since I've done a CD-based install, and never a
>multi-CD based install, and never a Sarge CD-based install, but I
>believe you'll need to tell the system about the other CDs by
> running "apt-cdrom", which will prompt you to insert each CD in
> turn, which it will read, thus making the packages on that CD
> available for installation.
>
>Alternatively, and this is the way I do it, edit your
>"/etc/apt/sources.list" file to point to a network repository
> instead of to local CDs. Then you get the latest and greatest
> packages from the network, instead of the 3-month or 10-month, etc,
> old versions that are on your CDs.
>
>>I spent the majority of the day wandering around in aptitude, both
>>looking for the everything option or trying to find both perl-5.8.x
>
>I'm not sure about Sarge, but in Sid, it's just
>  #aptitude search perl | grep 5
>which seems to indicate that perl-5.6 is the most recent version
>available. Sarge is likely to not even have that. To install the 5.6
>version,
>  #aptitude install perl-5.6
>
>(In both of these cases, I'm using aptitude in its command-line mode
>rather than it's "GUI" mode.)
>
>>or enough x11 to get a gui running, without finding either.
>
>  #aptitude install x-window-system kde gnome icewm
>
>should get you lots of GUI goodness and flavor.

After I read up on 'man apt-cdrom' I expect it might.

rant mode

But the aptitude interface sure reminds me of the old dselect, and I
didn't take long to learn to hate that a decade back.  aptitude
really really needs one more line of info onscreen full time, and
thats the current path in the selection tree.  Having to scroll
hundreds of screens up and down just to find and cancel, sort of a
cd .., out of that branch of the tree takes entirely too much time
when searching thru its lists.  IMO, an ']' at any point in a sublist
should close that sublist and take you back to the parent.

/rant mode

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)