Re: Using the latest Eclipse on Debian

On Friday 29 July 2005 18:49, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> This if for the few people using Java on Debian.
>
> I would like to run the latest stable version of Eclipse (3.0.1) on my
> Debian system. I have installed the latest JDK from Sun, using the
> java-package utlity.
>
> However, when I install Eclipse, I can't create a Java project, or
> access any of the Java tools. I can't even find the "Java" entry in
> the Preferences dialog.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Do I need to configure a setting in Eclipse to get it to recognize my
> JDK, or do I need to set up a CLASSPATH for Eclipse in my Debian
> system?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Huey
Well I am running Eclipse 3.1 (which is the latest stable version
currently) under Debian unstable.  I installed JDK 1.5 from Sun
using the java-package utility, and I even have WTP working
under Eclipse.

I installed it in /usr/local/eclipse.  The only SDK I have installed
is the 1.5 one.  It might be worth passing in the -vm parameter
to eclipse to be sure you are using the right one.

David