Re: questions about anti virus tools in linux

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:43:25 +0200, Walter Hoolwerf wrote:

> On 2005-07-26 09:30:13 +0200, Trace Green <jamesxuruo@163.com> said:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to do some antivirus scan for my windows partitions in LiveCD,
>> so, i want to ask some questions about these tools.
>>
>> 1. As i know, clamscan and f-prot can do this work for me. but they
>> seems don't support NTFS.
>
> it's the kernel that doesn't support ntfs (all the way, read is
> supported, write is somehow supported but pretty useless I think).
>
>> 2. My friend told me f-prot is too old to use. And in systemRescueCD
>> and Helix, these two kinds of liveCD all use clamscan. Does it mean
>> clamscan is better than f-prot?
>
> I personally favor f-prot over clamscan. F-prot is updated very
> regulary, so it isn't to old (you might wanna ask him what he means by
> that :S). The thing is, that clamscan is free software and open source.
> So it's a much more logic choice to put clamscan in a free livecd than
> to put (payware) f-prot in it.
>
> I really havent got an idea which is the better though. I know the
> definition files of f-prot are very up2date and it works really well in
> Windows. I expect to work really well in linux to. I don't have any
> experience with clamscan.
>
>> 3. As you know, Windows have so many virus, so, can anybody tell me any
>> kinds of tools in linux scanning virus for windows?
>
> well, clamscan and f-prot both do. I'm not aware of any other software
> packages that do the same, though I'm sure they'll exist.
>
>> 4. Does clamscan have user interface, or is it just command in terminal?
>> Thanks very much for any idea!!
>
> command-line scanner

Actually YES, there is a KDE interface to clamscan.  My friend uses it all
the time.  I looked at it once myself before I totally dumped KDE and
removed it from my system..

Wish I could give you the package name but it escapes me right now.
However, I DO believe there is a *.deb for it (but don't hunt me down like
a wild dog and shoot me if I'm wrong <g> )

mr mike..