Re: Funny Dependencies !

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:51:50AM +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> # apt-get install libc6-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   linux-kernel-headers
>
> Huh, why do we need kernel headers to compile "Hello World" ?

Because the headers in libc6-dev refer to types (and macros) declared in
linux-kernel-headers (such as size_t,...).
A while ago, libc6-dev actually included these headers itself, but this
has changed.
Note that the linux-kernel-headers is only meant for userspace
development. For kernel modules, you need the kernel-headers-* package.

> And who is supposed to know (and understand) these dependencies ?

The libc6 maintainers ?

Frank