Re: Funny Dependencies !

On Friday, 29.07.2005 at 11:51 +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> ii  gcc            3.3.5-3        The GNU C compiler
> ii  gcc-3.3        3.3.5-13       The GNU C compiler
> ii  gcc-3.3-base   3.3.5-13       The GNU Compiler Collection (base
> package)
>
> is what you find on your box, you think you can compile. At least "Hello
> World".
> Wrong:
> /usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
>
> Obviously, apt-get has buggy dependencies here; and we
>
> # apt-get install libc6
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> libc6 is already the newest version.
>
> Not yet there. Let's give it one more shot:
>
> # apt-get install libc6-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   linux-kernel-headers
>
> Huh, why do we need kernel headers to compile "Hello World" ?

I'm guessing that, actually, you don't.  The compiled program only
requires libc6-dev: however, many things that require libc6-dev also
require the kernel headers, so linux-kernel-headers is a dependency of
libc6-dev.

> And who is supposed to know (and understand) these dependencies ?

Who can say? :-)

It seems to me, though, that gcc should require libc6-dev as a
dependency, since you can't compile any C programs without it; maybe
it's because you could use libc5 instead or something ... ?

These are just vague thoughts on this issue: hopefully someone else will
spot the flaws in my reasoning and give a better answer :-)

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org