Re: how to add new window manager to display manager?

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:11:17 +0800, phyrster wrote:

> hi all,
>

> After compiled fluxbox and installed it, I noticed there is no entry for
> 'fluxbox' in gdm and wdm. However, the debian pkg can automatically add that
> entry.
>
> I wonder which file to configure to make those display managers recognize the
> newly installed windows manager?
>

> regards
>
> bxuef
>
> --
> dhammapada says:
>
>   Perfect of virtue, always acting with recollection, and liberated by
>   final realisation - Mara does not know the path such people travel. 57

/usr/share/xsessions/ directory contains the *.desktop files used by gdm.
I just cp an_existing_one.desktop to fluxbox.desktop and edited its'
content so it is appropriate for fluxbox.  One note...  If you plan to use
the ~/.fluxbox/startup file, then the exec and try exec lines in the
.desktop file should reference startfluxbox NOT fluxbox.  Also, the last
command in the ~/.fluxbox/autostart file should be exec fluxbox.

I might also recommend using the apps file to control the startup of all
your apps.  It allows you to place them on the workspace you want them in
instead of them all coming up in your first workspace...  It can also
control a great deal of other attributes of the window state...

hope this helps..

cheers,
mr mike