Re: Using a novell shared printer from debian.

Hi

I just got printing to a printer on a Novell server working (after
giving up on it ages ago, hurray for small successes!).

Used LPRng as the spool daemon and magicfilter as the filter.

printcap entry:
<code>
lp|:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
:mx#0:\
:sh:\
:if=/etc/magicfilter/filter:\
:af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
:lp=/dev/null:
</code>

/etc/magicfilter/filter contents (you may have to pick the best filter
for your printer, check the magicfilter docs):
<code>
#!/bin/sh
export THISDIR=$(dirname $0)
$THISDIR/psonly600-filter | $THISDIR/nwprint
</code>

nwprint script for sending output to novell printer:
<code>
#!/bin/sh
# Hacked together by I. Burger
# gpf@pikkedil.energie.sun.ac.za

# I borrowed this from smbprint, this gets some information from .config

config_file=$THISDIR/.config

eval `cat $config_file`

# The trailing '-' makes nprint read from stdin, it should work without the
# minus, but this is just to be sure.  Use the top line to figure out errors,
# believe me, I had plenty, some of them really weird...

echo $server $user > /tmp/nw-error
(/usr/bin/nprint -S $server -U $user -P $password -q $queue -) 2>> /tmp/nw-error
#/usr/bin/nprint -S $server -U $user -P $password -q $queue -

# This line is extremely useful, see the README file.

# cat > /tmp/printout.ps
# chmod 644 /tmp/printout.ps
</code>

.config contains the definitions for the server, user, password and
queue. make sure this has appropriate permissions...

Hope that helps some, could have used it myself ages ago!

Cheers,
Joel