Re: Using a novell shared printer from debian.

On (27/07/05 22:26), Kent West wrote:
> ilham.firdaus@id.pwc.com wrote:
>
> > I don't have any problem to use the resource of windows environment
> > but for the resources of novell shared yes.
> >
> > for example I can not print any document from my debian box onto a
> > shared printer. This printer is shared by a novell server. the ip of
> > the server is 192.168.23.1 and the name of printer is Q8111.
> >
> > So I downloaded ncpfs and try a simple printer with this way:
> > nprint -S 192.168.23.1 -U firdaus -P pinter -q Q8111 ./testing.txt
> > It printed properly.
> >
> > But I don't understand how to make a default printer set up in my KDE.
> > I use  the printer setup menu of the Control Center but I don't know
> > which option I should choose in making my debian can print onto a
> > netware shared printer.
>
> I think printing is still pretty much a nightmare in Linux.
>
> What I do, is to install cups (aptitude install cupsys - I always have
> to install printer drivers also, but I never can remember (the name of
> the package is non-intuitive, something like foomatic-db-gimp-print -
> why is "gimp" in there?!!!!).
>
> Then point your web browser to "http://localhost:631/admin"; and you
> should be able to figure it out from there.
>
> (Why is there no man page for cups or cupsys?!!! Why is it so hard to
> find the :631 reference?!! Why is the documentation wrong when it does
> mention 631?!! (Recently you've had to add the /admin portion, which is
> not referenced in /usr/share/doc/Readme.txt.gz Otherwise you get
> nothing)?!! Okay, I'm finished with my rant, except to say that printing
> still sucks on Linux!!)

Wow! You really are p*ssed ;)

Yep.  I found trying to do anything IPP (via KDE) a nightmare and as for
xprint .....

The one document that seems to get me up and running painlessly (using
cups) is this one:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing.html

.... not given me a headache yet.

In my exprerience, printing can be a pain in any operating system when
it goes wrong.  I recall hours of fun with Mac OS8/9.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...