Can't get Intel 82915G on-board graphics controller to deactivate the monitor.

My computer has on-board video which `lspci -v` reports as follows:

0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corp. 82915G Express Chipset Family
Graphics Controller (rev 04)
        Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 2582
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Memory at cfe00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

I tried using the i810 driver but couldn't get it to work ("No screens
found" etc.).  Using the vesa driver everything works fine *except* that
the screen won't go blank when the computer is inactive.  (I know the
monitor is capable of handling this, since it used to do it correctly with
a different computer and RedHat.)

My XF86Config-4 file currently contains the following stanzas.

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "LA702U"
        HorizSync       30-70
        VertRefresh     60-160
        Option          "DPMS"  "on"
EndSection

I would especially appreciate any suggestions for getting this graphics card
with the vesa driver to drop the monitor signal after a period of
inactivity.  Alternatively, I'd be interested in debugging advice for
getting the i810 driver to work (it's supposed to be the correct one).

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-010512.htm

--
Thanks,
Adam