AMD64 question...

I am thinking of switching to an AMD64 processor... I am currently running
kernel 2.4.27-2-k7. I really don't wanna switch to a 2.6 series kernel if I don't
have to... I presume I can simply install the -386 versions of the packages
and have them work; correct?

Can I continue to run my -k7 kernel on an AMD64? If not then what is the
minimum packages I will need to install to run this? I do not intend to go to
pure 64bit at this time.

--
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are
 the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There