Re: MS Office 12 format

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 05:50 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:47:45AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > That doesn't follow at all.
> >
> > Why not?
>
> DMCA makes it a crime to break encryption, not necessarily to
> reverse-engineer file formats.  MS would have to specifically define
> their file format as encrypted, in my non-lawyer's understanding, to
> invoke DMCA.

http://www.chillingeffects.org/reverse/faq.cgi#QID209
    A person may reverse engineer the lawfully acquired computer
    program ... The reverse engineer is required to ask permission
    first, however.

Since IANAL, the full ramifications of the DMCA ellude me, and sound
slightly contradictory.

Can MSFT ROT13 the schema, and claim that that is "a technological
protection measure"?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"I prefer the most unfair peace to the most righteous war."
Marcus T Cicero