Re: New to Debian: Network support

--- "espinozablunda@supercable.net.ve"
<espinozablunda@supercable.net.ve> wrote:

> How do I suscribe to this list?
> What are the packages needed to configure/detect a
> network
> (router)?
>
> I just installed Debian Sarge on my laptop. My
> laptop was
> useless with window, it used to hung up every too
> often.
> Things look better with Sarge. Therefore, I
> concluded that
> Linux is definitively more stable than Windows and
> rescued
> my laptop. I am new to Debian. Some years ago I
> tride to
> install Potato but couldn't do it. I still have the
> CD's to
> reveange someday... Sarge is more user friendly in
> this
> sense. I use RedHat at work (as user only not
> administrator)
> and used to have Mandrake and SUSE (100% smooth
> installations) at home but I have the feeling that
> only
> Debian will remain trully Open Source in the future
> and it's
> worth to learn it, apt-get is exellent by the way.
>
> I was able to connect to the network once but then I
> got an
> IRQ-11 error and have not been able since then. I am
> trying
> to connect to a router via a LAN cable. The router
> is
> connected to the WAN. The Router seems designed for
> Windows
> but I could use it once. Unfortunately, Debian
> detected the
> network during the installation by itself so I have
> no clue
> how did it happen. I had to reinstall Sarge again to
> eliminate the IRQ11 error that was interfering with
> the boot
> process. However the new installation didn't
> recognize the
> network automatically!
>
> Regards,
> Carlos
Hello Carlos,

Well first of all I want to mention that the router
and your linux box connect between themselfs with
TCP/IP, so does not matter if you have linux or
windows.

In order to communicate two boxes whichever those be
they must have an ip within the same network I mean:
Box1: 192.168.0.1
Box2: 192.168.0.2
Then can be a comminication between those point. Often
the routers has the dhcp configured by default in this
case the router gives an ip to your machine(linux
box), so you must configure the eth? in order to get
the ip address, you can achive this in the folowing
way:

go and edit: /etc/netwok/interface
and put the following lines
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

save the file, and the go to:
/etc/init.d/
and run
#./networking restart
or
#./netwokring stop
#./networking start

in this way the router will give to your linux box an
ip and you will be able to connect to your router.

if not, you must know the ip of your router and assign
an ip within the same network to your linux box.

Also you can check www.tldp.org, the HOWTOS there are
a very good documentation about networking.

I hope this help

Regards.

--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)