New to Debian: Network support

How do I suscribe to this list?
What are the packages needed to configure/detect a network
(router)?

I just installed Debian Sarge on my laptop. My laptop was
useless with window, it used to hung up every too often.
Things look better with Sarge. Therefore, I concluded that
Linux is definitively more stable than Windows and rescued
my laptop. I am new to Debian. Some years ago I tride to
install Potato but couldn't do it. I still have the CD's to
reveange someday... Sarge is more user friendly in this
sense. I use RedHat at work (as user only not administrator)
and used to have Mandrake and SUSE (100% smooth
installations) at home but I have the feeling that only
Debian will remain trully Open Source in the future and it's
worth to learn it, apt-get is exellent by the way.

I was able to connect to the network once but then I got an
IRQ-11 error and have not been able since then. I am trying
to connect to a router via a LAN cable. The router is
connected to the WAN. The Router seems designed for Windows
but I could use it once. Unfortunately, Debian detected the
network during the installation by itself so I have no clue
how did it happen. I had to reinstall Sarge again to
eliminate the IRQ11 error that was interfering with the boot
process. However the new installation didn't recognize the
network automatically!

Regards,
Carlos