Re: Firefox Segmentation Fault

Hi,

> My firefox keeps dieing with a segmentation fault. First question is:
> what's a segmentation fault? Second: what can I do to find out what is

A segmentation fault occurs when an application tries to access
memory it is not allowed to access (similar to an access violation on
other OSs)

> causing it and fix it?
>
> There doesn't seem to be any particular cause although I think it is
> related to page rendering. Going to this page
>
> http://www.steadfastequipment.com/

The page is incompatible with Debian, because it requires a Windows Media
Player plugin ;-)

> makes it fail every time but it seems fairly random. The problem started
> today but I don't remember seeing firefox get updated today. I suspected

Which Debian version are you using? Sarge, Testing, Unstable?
Which firefox version are you using? I am currently using 1.0.4, but
there is already the 1.0.6 in unstable. Did you upgrade any other
packages which firefox depends on, like libpng, libjpeg or something
similar?

As a general rule on how to trace such problems, you can try the
following:

Start a shell (I use bash):

$ ulimit -c unlimited

This enables writing of a core file when an application crashes.

$ mozilla-firefox

This launches firefox from the shell. Now, work with it until it
crashes. It will output something like

Segmentation violation (core dumped)

This leaves a file core.processId in your current directory.
Find out the file name and launch the GNU Debugger gdb:

$ gdb /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin core.6553

At the (gdb) prompt, use the where command to see where the
application crashed:

(gdb) where
#0  0xb7e44852 in raise () from /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x08c190ca in nsProfileLock::FatalSignalHandler ()
#2  <signal handler called>
#3  0xb758f523 in poll () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#4  0xb79c82f6 in g_main_loop_get_context () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#5  0xb79c78f0 in g_main_context_dispatch () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#6  0xb79c7f13 in g_main_loop_run () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#7  0xb7c78693 in gtk_main () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

If you post the first few lines of this so-called stack trace,
it *might* give others a hint what too look for.

Regards,

        Andreas

--
Andreas Fester