use knoppix to rerun lilo

hi,

I upgraded from woody to sarge and since the release notes say that
dist-upgrade wouldn't touch the kernel, I tried to go without calling
/sbin/lilo before rebooting.

Afterwards, lilo couldn't boot anymore (it stops after the first 'l'
was output). why is this the case? If this is possible, shouldn't the
release notes tell people to run /sbin/lilo just in case?

Anyway, usually I can easily fix this by booting Knoppix (3.1 in my case),
mounting the root filesystem /dev/hda2 (it's all on one partition),
and running /sbin/lilo from a chroot-shell (chroot /mnt/hda2 /bin/bash).
But when I do this, I get the error:
Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied

I'll try to "dpkg -i grub*.deb" to fix this but I'd still like to know why
this trick does not work any more.

thanks,

--
Felix Natter