Re: how to compute number bytes downloaded?

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 19:38 +0100, Doofus wrote:
> michael wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to weight up whether monthly d/load caps by various ISPs
> >would restrict me. (Firstly I'm assuming when they say 1Gb they mean
> >1000*1024 bytes and not bits?) More importantly, what's the best way to
> >track amount of data downloaded per session? For anybody that's
> >interested the main thing I'll be doing is running xterms on remote
> >machines pointed back to mine at home but I've not idea how much traffic
> >X involves.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >

> 1GBytes/month (at least I would certainly hope so... ;-)
>
> X is a bit of a BW monster but a few xterms shouldn't be too bad. I
> realise that's not a very quantitative answer though. I've been in a
> similar situation recently and found that the ISP in question were
> prepared to swap a capped 2GB service for an uncapped 1GB (same price)
> if the former should prove inadequate.

Unfort it'll prob be also a couple of GUIs (evolution and emacs). As you
said a way of quantifying this would be good (eg I can do a 'normal'
hours work on my current (uncapped!) ISP connection then multiple it
up... if I knew how to count the amount of data d/loaded...)

> Regardless of all this you may want to look at the Xvnc packages which
> provide an excellent solution to limited bandwidth.

I've only used VNC to connect a XP machine to (view on) a Linux box but
I guess you're implying vnc for linux-linux reduces X traffic?

Thanks M

--
Michael Bane
Atmospheric Physics Group