Re: how to compute number bytes downloaded?

michael wrote:

I'm trying to weight up whether monthly d/load caps by various ISPs
would restrict me. (Firstly I'm assuming when they say 1Gb they mean
1000*1024 bytes and not bits?) More importantly, what's the best way to
track amount of data downloaded per session? For anybody that's
interested the main thing I'll be doing is running xterms on remote
machines pointed back to mine at home but I've not idea how much traffic
X involves.

Thanks!

1GBytes/month (at least I would certainly hope so... ;-)

X is a bit of a BW monster but a few xterms shouldn't be too bad. I realise that's not a very quantitative answer though. I've been in a similar situation recently and found that the ISP in question were prepared to swap a capped 2GB service for an uncapped 1GB (same price) if the former should prove inadequate.

Regardless of all this you may want to look at the Xvnc packages which provide an excellent solution to limited bandwidth.