Re: Debian Installer SATA detection

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:41:35 -0500, Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:52:16 +0100
Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:

On (25/07/05 22:30), Grant Thomas wrote:
> I have a problem getting the Debian Installer to recognize my SATA
> controller.
> My computer is a ST20G5, a Shuttle small form factor PC.
> Currently I have an 80G SATA drive, and a 120G PATA drive to work
> with. I have been able to setup Debian with no problem on the PATA
> drive, but I   would rather have the SATA working.
> I have confidence that the hardware is good, as I have installed XP
> to the   SATA drive, and it works flawlessly.
<snipped for brevity>

If you already have Debian installed on the PATA drive you could load
the necessary modules (for SATA) using 'modconf'.  You could then use
chroot to install a debian system on the SATA drive.

However, it would seem you want to do a fresh install and the
installer is not picking up the SATA drives.  Try
# expert26
at the boot prompt.  It will then give you access to many more modules
for the install; I haven't checked the compatability list for the SATA
controller.

Or if you simply want SATA support without the extra prompts and options
that 'expert26' gives, you could also enter 'linux26' at the boot
prompt.

HTH,
Jacob

I dont mind the expert26 option, but I am not sure which modules to load.
I have tried before, but I wasn't even able to get my Broadcom NIC to work.
Is there somewhere I could look for help configuring with the expert26 option?

Unfortunately, the linux26 option does not recognize my drive.

Thank you both for the help you have given.