Re: proper way to change ip and hostname

On 26 Jul 2005, Haines Brown wrote:
> > Matthew Lenz wrote:
> >
> > > rather than grep xarging /etc for occurances of the ip and
> > > hostname is there a proper "debian way" of changing them?
> >
> > Editing /etc/hosts ?
>
> I went through this experience a short while ago. All kinds of
> recommendations about greping /etc, even that reinstalling linux is
> the only safe way to change the hostname. But, in contast, there was
> also the suggestion that all that is needed is to change /etc/hosts
> and reboot. It makes one feel very insecure when there's such
> conflicting advice out there.
>
> I bit the bullet, changed /etc/hostname, and rebooted; nothing
> else. As far as I can make out after a month, this procedure worked
> beautifully. I can think of ways it could lead to a problem or two,
> but I don't think that denies the basic soundness of the approach.
>
> Haines Brown

I've done just the same in the past without any problems. In fact, I'm
not even sure I had to reboot, but certainly the only things I needed
to change were /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk for
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  blog, book reviews, electronic