Re: proper way to change ip and hostname

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2005, Haines Brown wrote:
>

>>>Editing /etc/hosts ?
>>

>>I bit the bullet, changed /etc/hostname, and rebooted; nothing
>>else. As far as I can make out after a month, this procedure worked
>>beautifully. I can think of ways it could lead to a problem or two,
>>but I don't think that denies the basic soundness of the approach.

Editing /etc/hostname will change the hostname but not the IP address.
The ip address of an interface is setup in /etc/network/interfaces (at
least for static ip addresses).  For dynamic address you would need to
modify the DHCP server to return a different ip for your MAC.  You also
may have to change any internal DNS servers to reflect the new name/ip
changes.