Re: monitoring web-based email

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

Yeh, I was afraid that the encrypted factor would cause problems. As for legality, it would be interesting to know what other people know, but it is my understanding that: whereas the computers belong to the business, all activities carried out on that computer are the property of the company. This is precisely why email, internet activity, etc. can all be legally monitored by a business as long as such activity is carried out within the business' LAN and on the business' computers. For example, when auditors from a hired accounting firm come in, then I don't we would have the legal basis for monitoring their computers or their traffic.

Curtis

Not only is it a legal issue, but a moral issue. Not directed at you since this was not your decision as you stated. But when are people going to learn that treating their employees like a bunch of kids is a sure fire way to make any of them with marketable skills to hit the road? If they hired them based on their qualifications and their character, can they not be trusted to do what they are supposed to do? I'm not saying don't monitor things to make sure they aren't doing anything wrong or spending excessive amounts of time doing something that keeps them from work. Just talking about the practice of playing the hand of god on everybodys daily routine. That is all.

-Mike