Re: monitoring web-based email

On Monday 25 July 2005 17:33, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Yeh, I was afraid that the encrypted factor would cause problems. As
> for legality, it would be interesting to know what other people know,
> but it is my understanding that: whereas the computers belong to the
> business, all activities carried out on that computer are the
> property of the company. This is precisely why email, internet
> activity, etc. can all be legally monitored by a business as long as
> such activity is carried out within the business' LAN and on the
> business' computers. For example, when auditors from a hired
> accounting firm come in, then I don't we would have the legal basis
> for monitoring their computers or their traffic.

Just check the relevant policy. If the policy (the AUP/TOS) does not make
clear the employer can (and may) monitor all computer/network activity,
perhaps it would be good to add such a clear statement. Most places I've been
to have made this clear in their policy, and one place I've been stated on
the terminals before logging in to the VAX/VMS system bluntly stated "we
reserve the right to monitor all keystrokes." (Of course, the VAX/VMS systems
include the ability to mirror and log any connected terminals; the policy was
easily realistic for that institution.)