Re: Reference to your work

It's actually a girl, I think.

On 7/25/05, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@pooq.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:57:56PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (25/07/05 15:15), Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 02:07:19PM +0530, Sandhya wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Greetings of the day. Please allow me to introduce myself as a member of the
> > > technical development team at EC-Council. Currently we are finalizing the
> > > release version of our courseware that prepares aspirants for the
> > > certification 'Certified Ethical Hacker' as awarded by EC-Council.
> > >
> > > In this context, we would like to seek your permission to include references
> > > to your tool " hammerhead (Analyzing Tool) " published at website url
> > > http://packages.debian.org/ as a resource material for the said
> > > instructional material. This will further enrich the knowledge base shared
> > > with the students and the intent is solely to disseminate
> > > knowledge-to-knowledge seekers.
> > >
> > > It would be an honor for us to feature your work here and look forward to
> > > hearing from you regarding your kind consent. All due credits will be given
> > > in the courseware in the research endnotes and if you would like to adhere
> > > to any specific copyright clause, please do let us know.
> > >
> > > We are committed towards protecting intellectual property and willing to do
> > > all that it takes to uphold this principle.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your time and consideration.
> > > Thanks & Regards.
> > >
> > > Sandhya
> > > sandhya@eccouncil.org
> > > Research Associate
> > > International Council of E-Commerce Consultants
> > > http://www.eccouncil.org
> >
> > I'm not the copyright holder or the author, just a subscriber to
> > the debian-user mailing list.  Most of the software distributed
> > as part of the Debian system is covered by the GNU public licence,
> > the Lesser GNU public Licence, or another relatively free licence,
> > ans copyright in these packages is held by a wide variety of individuals
> > and organisations.  (There are exceptions).  You'll have to look at the
> > licences that cover the individual packages yourself.  Fortunately,
> > I believe you will find the licence information in the packages
> > themselves, as distributed by Debian.  (Someone please correct me
> > if I am wrong on this.)
> >
> > The GNU licences allow you to copy the works, make your own modifications,
> > and republish them under certain restrictions.  Make sure you read
> > the license information and find out what the restrictions are!
> >
> > If there's anything else you need to know, make a more specific
> > request to the copyright holder, or here.  Maybe someone else will
> > know more than I.
> >
> > By the way, it's generally considered in poor taste to post a number of
> > nearly identical messages here.  It looks like spam, even if it isn'e.
>
> Looks like spam, tastes like spam ....... probably is;)

Might be ... but he doesn't seem to be trying to sell anything.
I think this guy sincerely wants to do the
right thing with copyright and author's paternal rights as
they apply to some Debain packages.  Other than apparent good intentions,
he seems to be a little clueless as to how to go about it, and
I'm trying to be helpful.  If anyone else can help him out,
it would probably be appreciated.

Isn't there a discussion group specifically for this king of
Debain licencing issues?

I'm not any kind of authority on Debian licencing issues.  I'm
just a Debian user, and I decided to answer because no one else was...

-- hendrik