Re: Why not a Desktop on a GNU/Linux Server

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 01:28:51PM -0700, Anthony Simonelli wrote:
> I am planning on running a Squid Proxy, Postfix,
> Apache, webmail server here at my company and I was
> wondering if it was alright to run a Desktop or just
> X-Windows on this server.  I love using the
> command-line and have become pretty proficient with it
> (I always have a terminal open), but other people in
> my department are not and a Desktop will help them out
> a great deal.  They're used to a Windows NT type
> interface.
>
> I have always read that a desktop should not be
> running on a server but there is never an explanation
> as to why.  Is there any problem with running a
> desktop on a server other than performance issues?
> The computer is a AMD 1.1 GHz with 1.256 GB RAM and
> 80GB drive with only 70 users so it should handle it
> just fine.

My AMD gigahertz machines are running desktops.
My 100 MHz Pentium is a server.  It also has a desktop
--  gdm and icewm.

As a server it's fine.  As a desktop it's very slow.
It can take as long as ten seconds to start up an xterm.
I don't even try to use a browser -- except for lynx on one
of the text consoles.

I think you should have no problems, except maybe security
issues in case the extra desktop software has bugs.

-- hendrik