Kernel Compile - the Debian way

I'd like to learn how to compile a kernel the Debian way and haven't had that
much luck finding a faq or walkthrough that explains what I'm doing
step-by-step and why I'm doing it.  I hear that it's easier than the
"standard way" and I'd like to find out for myself what it's all about.

can someone point me to a doc/faq/tutorial somewhere that gives me the hows
and a well written version of the whys?  I've searched all over and haven't
really been able to find much that didn't just tell me to blindly follow the
given steps.

Thanks

--
- Josh