Re: VMware

On 7/25/05, Robert Kopp <iconoklastic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> And Bill Gates' own Virtual PC 2004 is also cheaper,
> but WinXP Pro must be the HOST OS. I've tried it but I
> don't like virtual machines as well as multi-boot
> native installations.

Just to share my experiences, I installed an eval version of VPC2004
on an XP home machine yesterday. It complained that it required XP Pro
but ran anyway.

I got an ubuntu installation up and running with few problems (had to
change X to use 16 bit instead of 24). (I used ubuntu because I hadn't
had an opportunity to try it out yet, I'm running sarge by default).

There are some good web pages on using virtual pc and things like
that, one's a blog by a/the project manager at MS, another lists OS
compatibility (I'm midway through installing plan9). They're linked at
http://del.icio.us/tag/virtualpc

On the whole, I think VPC might be a lot slower than VMWare, at least
for non-MS operating systems.