Re: howto get popup for connection speed

On 7/20/05, Matias Rollan <cygar@safesource.com.ar> wrote:
> Hola !
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 06:44:16PM -0400, hacker (of golf) wrote:
> > I'm trying to create a popup to show the connection speed.
> >
> > I'm trying this:
> >
> > root :~# kdialog --display localhost:0 --msgbox "Connection Speed
> > `tail -n1 /var/log/ppp-connect-errors | awk '{ print $6 }'` bps"
> > kdialog: cannot connect to X server localhost:0
> >
> > but, as you can see, it won't connect to the xserver.
> >
> > How can I get this to work?
> >

> If you running the X server as the same user you are trying to execute
> "kdialog"  you might want to try this:

actually, I'm not.

> root:~#  kdialog  --msgbox "This is a test." --display `env |grep -i display |cut
> -d'=' -f 2`
>
> or better instead of doing that [env|grep|cut] just use:
>
> # kdialog --msgbox "this is a test" --display $DISPLAY
>
> which actually is what we want to get , the value for DISPLAY
> environment variable. :)
>
> [ instead of using "localhost:0" take a look at the DISPLAY environment
> variable ]
>
> If you are not running the X server as the user who wants to execute the
>
> kdialog and you want let others [any] user from [any] host [ not recommended ] :
>  $ xhost +
>  # export DISPLAY=:0.0 && kdialog...

this works:

root :~# export DISPLAY=:0 ; kdialog --msgbox "this is test" --display :0
Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
Link points to "/tmp/kde-root"
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
kbuildsycoca running...
Launched ok, pid = 6532
Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 6529, errno = 0
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 6524, errno = 0

> Other option would be ssh forwarding to your own box.
>  $ ssh -Xf root@localhost 'kdialog --msgbox ......... '
>
> I hope it helps,

Yes, I added:

kdialog --display :0 --msgbox "`tail -n1 /var/log/ppp-connect-errors |
cut -b 8-` bps"

to the end of /etc/ppp/ip-up and now I get a popup telling me the
connection speed.

> --
>   Matías Rollán
>   <cygar@safesource.com.ar>