Re: howto get popup for connection speed

Hola !

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 06:44:16PM -0400, hacker (of golf) wrote:
> I'm trying to create a popup to show the connection speed.
>
> I'm trying this:
>
> root :~# kdialog --display localhost:0 --msgbox "Connection Speed
> `tail -n1 /var/log/ppp-connect-errors | awk '{ print $6 }'` bps"
> kdialog: cannot connect to X server localhost:0
>
> but, as you can see, it won't connect to the xserver.
>
> How can I get this to work?

If you running the X server as the same user you are trying to execute
"kdialog"  you might want to try this:

root:~#  kdialog  --msgbox "This is a test." --display `env |grep -i display |cut
-d'=' -f 2`

or better instead of doing that [env|grep|cut] just use:

# kdialog --msgbox "this is a test" --display $DISPLAY

which actually is what we want to get , the value for DISPLAY
environment variable. :)

[ instead of using "localhost:0" take a look at the DISPLAY environment
variable ]

If you are not running the X server as the user who wants to execute the

kdialog and you want let others [any] user from [any] host [ not recommended ] :
 $ xhost +
 # export DISPLAY=:0.0 && kdialog...

Other option would be ssh forwarding to your own box.
 $ ssh -Xf root@localhost 'kdialog --msgbox ......... '

I hope it helps,

--
  Matías Rollán