Re: guidelines to post on debian-user --- draft 1

>  I would like to hear input from fellow Debianites on the following
>  document titled "guidelines to post on debian-user" hosted at
>  http://people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html

Not bad but it needs proofreading:

   But a new person might not be aware of these guidelines.

Remove "But".

   This document is structured in such a way that, a
   newbie/experienced

Remove the comma.

   every one

Change to "everyone".

   ... experienced by some other person on the earth and the solution

Remove "on the earth".

   involves

"involved".

   Remember, Everyone is once a newbie.

"everyone".

There's lots more.  I would also add something about the various
release tracks (Stable, Testing, Unstable), the nicknames (Woody,
Sarge, Etch, Sid) and about the various downstream distributions
(Knoppix, Ubuntu, Libranet), especially mentioning the latter are not
Debian supported distributions.  Better help for them may be had by
going to that distribution's support area.

Mention lists.debian.org

Mention whitelist@lists.debian.org

Mention linux.debian.user on Usenet.

   8. Keep the posts on the lists.

      c. Explain other reasons.

Many people resent personal replies, or Cc:'d replies, for a number of
reasons.  Personal replies may be filtered out by aggressive anti-spam
measures, while mail from the list is whitelisted.

Finally, a small section on the various package tools (dpkg, dselect,
apt-get, aptitude, synaptic) and how to use them to find information
might be useful.  Here's some aliases I use:

alias pkgd='apt-cache show'                     # d for display
alias pkgl='COLUMNS=120 dpkg -l'                # l for list
alias pkgp='apt-cache policy'                   # p for policy
alias pkgs='aptitude search'                    # s for search

and for root:

alias apti='aptitude update && aptitude upgrade'

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/autospam.html
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt democracy human rights Taiwan Independence