Re: On using Mozilla instead of Firefox

Hi, Jochen.

First of all, thank you very much for your feedback and reaffirmation of
the points that I experienced.

If others experience the problems that I listed in my original message,
please let us know replying to this thread so we can, perhaps, isolate the
possible situations where the "slowness" happen and file appropriate bug
reports.

On Jul 19 2005, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Rogério Brito:
> > Excited with the promise that it would "shrink" in size in comparison to
> > the suite/Seamonkey (which was one of the main arguments that they were
> > using in the Phoenix 0.4 or so days), I started to use it as my main
> > browser and also advocating its use for fellow people and to my students.
>
> Same here. Phoenix/Firebird *was* damn fast.

Yes, it was promising and the expectations were high. Perhaps that was part
of the problem: I know that I, as a user, was under the impression that it
would improve the situation quite a bit, with much lower memory usage
(something which is especially important for those living in a modest
economy) and leave resources for other applications.

Now, I see that I was completely wrong.

> > Furthermore, once loaded, Firefox uses about the same amount of virtual
> > memory (in my, admittedly, non-scientific tests) as the suite, after
> > browsing some pages. And that's not even counting having Thunderbird
> > launched, which uses a bit more memory (as expected).
>
> And it is not only memory usage. I rarely use Mozilla these days (and
> only the browser part), but when I use it I always notive that it feels
> generally faster than Firefox.

I am back to using the suite (actually, the latest nightly build of the
Seamonkey project, straight from the Mozilla project) and it is usable. But
I think that things could be better.

> Ok, I have 10+ extensions installed, but even with the same extensions
> Firefox under win32 feels faster than under Debian.

Well, I never used any extensions, due to limitations of hardware (to be
slightly faster). I am more or less satisfied with the features of "stock"
Firefox.

> I guess mozilla people nowadays concentrate more on Windows (which is a
> shame).

I am also under the same impression.

> > Point 3 here: Another thing that is slightly disturbing is that, under the
> > very same hardware, running Firefox under Windows 2k and Debian to visit
> > www.macslash.org one notices a dramatic slower scroll speed of that site.
> > Something must clearly be different between the "same application" to have
> > this behaviour (hint: you'll likely to be annoyed at this if you have a
> > slower computer).
>
> See above. I am in the glad position to have a still quite fast laptop
> (1.3GHz Pentium M, 768MB RAM) but I am often astonished at Firefox's CPU
> usage even when it is "idling".

Do you see the problem scrolling this site when, say, compared to other
sites?

I don't see the slowdown in the same machine when using Windows 2000.

I have here an old evaluation copy of Windows 2000 Server and I just
installed it to use some tools that my students happen to use and, after
installing Firefox, I was shocked to see that macslash.org was much slower
when used with Linux.

Well, if anybody else could contribute any comments, I would love to read
them.

Thanks, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/