Re: NFS problems

Stephen Tait wrote:
I've just been rejigging my file server following the upgrade to Sarge and have finally tried to sort out some niggling problems.

Mainly, lockd doesn't seem to be running - I see the following entries all the time in my client machines (all gentoo):

nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
nsm_mon_unmon: rpc failed, status=-13
lockd: cannot monitor 192.168.1.10
lockd: failed to monitor 192.168.1.10
nsm_mon_unmon: rpc failed, status=-13
lockd: cannot monitor 192.168.1.10
lockd: failed to monitor 192.168.1.10

Googling about tells me that lockd should be running from the kernel, but as far as I can tell it isn't:

tamora:/usr/src/linux# rpcinfo -p
    program vers proto   port
     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
  860114244    1   udp    786
  860114244    1   tcp    788
     100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
     100005    1   udp    925  mountd
     100005    2   udp    925  mountd
     100005    1   tcp    928  mountd
     100005    2   tcp    928  mountd
     100024    1   udp    641  status
     100024    1   tcp    644  status

...and neither is statd or rquotad (although I don't think I need this).

I'm led to believe that because I use a custom kernel (built from debian sources 2.6.8) I should use the userspace kernel server (nfs-user-server) and not the nfs-kernel-server I previously had installed (now uninstalled, but it's init script and config remain).

No, kernel NFS can be either compiled or loaded as a module into a custom kernel.

 But the userspace daemons
(/sbin/rpc.lockd and /sbin/rpc.statd) don't seem to want to start even when I call them from the command line. A quick grep through my kernel config suggests this is because lockd is supposedly built into the kernel;

tamora:/usr/src/linux# cat .config | grep -i lockd
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y

My kernel just shows the first option, and I'm not using the kernel server.

Although I can't for the life of me find the option in menuconfig (maybe due to me copying the .config over from my old 2.4 installation...? But I can't find the option in 2.4's menuconfig either).

I found it by enabling the "Show All Options" option while running "make xconfig."
Using that option I also found that in order to enable CONFIG_LOCKD_V4, I first
had to enable NFS server support (NFSD) and then NFSv3.