NFS problems

I've just been rejigging my file server following the upgrade to Sarge and have finally tried to sort out some niggling problems.

Mainly, lockd doesn't seem to be running - I see the following entries all the time in my client machines (all gentoo):

nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
nsm_mon_unmon: rpc failed, status=-13
lockd: cannot monitor 192.168.1.10
lockd: failed to monitor 192.168.1.10
nsm_mon_unmon: rpc failed, status=-13
lockd: cannot monitor 192.168.1.10
lockd: failed to monitor 192.168.1.10

Googling about tells me that lockd should be running from the kernel, but as far as I can tell it isn't:

tamora:/usr/src/linux# rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
 860114244    1   udp    786
 860114244    1   tcp    788
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100005    1   udp    925  mountd
    100005    2   udp    925  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    928  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    928  mountd
    100024    1   udp    641  status
    100024    1   tcp    644  status

...and neither is statd or rquotad (although I don't think I need this).

I'm led to believe that because I use a custom kernel (built from debian sources 2.6.8) I should use the userspace kernel server (nfs-user-server) and not the nfs-kernel-server I previously had installed (now uninstalled, but it's init script and config remain). But the userspace daemons (/sbin/rpc.lockd and /sbin/rpc.statd) don't seem to want to start even when I call them from the command line. A quick grep through my kernel config suggests this is because lockd is supposedly built into the kernel;

tamora:/usr/src/linux# cat .config | grep -i lockd
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y

Although I can't for the life of me find the option in menuconfig (maybe due to me copying the .config over from my old 2.4 installation...? But I can't find the option in 2.4's menuconfig either).

portmap, netbase and nfs-user-server are all installed and seem to be running fine, and the nfsd and exportfs modules are both loaded:

tamora:/usr/src/linux# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
w83781d                32768  0
i2c_sensor              2368  1 w83781d
i2c_amd756              4804  0
nfsd                   61640  0
exportfs                4608  1 nfsd
8250                   17920  0
serial_core            18560  1 8250
dm_mod                 49980  0

TTBOMK everything else I need is built into the kernel. I had a fiddle with /etc/defaults/nfs-common to add "NEED_LOCKD=yes" but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Does anyone know why statd and lockd aren't running?