Re: Server crashing

On Tuesday 19 Jul 2005 19:30, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

> > The only time this happened to me was when I had broken RAM.
> >
> > Can you afford to run memtest on the machine for a couple of days
> > in order to
> > rule it out.
> >
> > I swapped the RAM into another machine and it eventually failed
> > memtest on
> > the third day of testing - but I haven't had another failure since.
> > (Fingers
> > crossed.)
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Ok I started running memtest, but I'm not sure exactly how to use it.
> First, I tried memtest 100m --log, but that pretty much stopped the
> computer from doing anything else. So, I stopped that test and put it
> to 50m. But am I doing this right? Oh, by the way I think I have
> somewhere around 120 Mb RAM

Hi.

This is why I asked if you could "afford to" do the test.

I was lucky because I had a spare machine and spare RAM: I swapped the RAM and
put the "dodgy" RAM into the spare machine. I then used a Knoppix boot CD and
booted into a memtest on the spare machine.

This meant that while the test was happening, I was not otherwise using the
machine.

Sorry.