Re: Server crashing

On 19 juil. 05, at 10:42, TreeBoy wrote:

On Tuesday 19 Jul 2005 18:22, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

I have a Debian Sarge server which provides the following services
DNS (internal only), DHCP, Apache, Samba.

Yesterday morning it suddenly crashed. I could not access it through
any protocols and the terminal was totally locked (no console,
nothing), although the computer was still on. After rebooting
(pushing the reset key was the only way) it worked for about 30-40
minutes and crashed again. This time when I rebooted, I turned off
Apache and Samba. Nonetheless it crashed about 30-40 minutes later
again. So this time I disabled Apache and SSH. After working for a
couple of hours without any problems, I turned apache back on. Since
then it stayed up till this morning when it crashed again.

Looking through various log files, I can't find any reason for the
crashes. Of course, I might not have been looking in the right logs,
or I don't have logging for the right service turned up high enough.

I did some checks on the 2 ide HDs. But they seem fine. Any ideas on
what I should be looking for to figure out what is going on? Or is it
just some serious hardware problem and I need to start replacing stuff?

Curtis

The only time this happened to me was when I had broken RAM.

Can you afford to run memtest on the machine for a couple of days in order to
rule it out.

I swapped the RAM into another machine and it eventually failed memtest on the third day of testing - but I haven't had another failure since. (Fingers
crossed.)

Cheers,

Ok I started running memtest, but I'm not sure exactly how to use it. First, I tried memtest 100m --log, but that pretty much stopped the computer from doing anything else. So, I stopped that test and put it to 50m. But am I doing this right? Oh, by the way I think I have somewhere around 120 Mb RAM