exim4 clientside authentication

The instructions seem straightforward in README.SMTP-AUTH, but I am
failing to authenticate when sending mail to my ISP's SMTP server, which
requires plain text authentication (verizon.net).

I am using the exim4 lite package, could that be the problem? Must I use
the heavy package to get clientside authentication? The docs have never
said so.

My delivery error notices contain this message:

host outgoing.verizon.net [206.46.232.12]: 550 5.7.1 Authentication
Required

This looks to me like authentication has not been attempted, rather than
a failed authentication attempt. Am I overlooking something? Must I
replace my exim4 lite with the heavy package?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (96% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh