Re: Is my card reader supported?

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 18:30 +0200, Joachim Fahnenmueller wrote:

> > > There's no way a card reader will fit into a la
> > >
> > > Never mind. Showing my age again..
> >
> > Damned, you know, when I saw that subject, I thought, "Who the
> > hell has a card reader in their house?  Those things are *huge*
> > and noisy...  And how would you interface it to a PC?"
> >
> > At least he didn't ask how to interface a BTAM unit to his laptop.
> >
> Please keep in mind that not everybody is a native speaker. To me (not English
> either) it was quite clear what he could mean.

It's also quite clear, I suspect, to those who never experienced the
"joys" of the IBM punch card era. My first computer programs were
written at a keypunch machine (kind of like a terminal, but the size of
a desk) that punched holes in a pile of pieces of cardboard, one 80 char
max line per card then handing the pile to a mortal behind a desk who
put them into what was then known as a "card reader" -- the portal into
the giant 60 bit CDC 6400 supercomputer. With **100 megabytes** of
actual magnetic core memory.

The fear of program bugs was nothing compared to the fear of dropping
those cards and getting the lines out of order -- the 50's and 60's (and
70's, to a student) definition of data loss.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com