RE: Cd writing tool under Linux

Wim De Smet <kromagg@gmail.com> wrote:
> normal user access to recording devices has been broken many times in
> the past by changes in the kernel API. It often doesn't work reliably
> and therefore it's safer to run K3B as root. If you're in a multi-user
> environment that's not an option, but if you're the administrator and
> you know what you're doing I wouldn't see why not

Why not using a 2.6.x kernel? This kernels have its own hardware abstraction
layer daemon (hald) and I think it is very useful in this cases. I use that
kernel version on my PC and I can write CD and DVD images using normal users
accounts, I didn't try to do so on a remote machine with a multi-user
environment but I think it must work too.

Regards,
Alonso