Re: Cd writing tool under Linux

On 7/16/05, Dennis Stosberg <lists@stosberg.net> wrote:
> Am 16.07.2005 um 06:15 schrieb Benjamin Sher:
>
> > Those are not my instructions but those of the author, who very explicitly
> > requires that K3b always run as root.
>
> And what do you think, why the k3b authors wrote "k3bsetup", which
> sets up all of cdrecord, cdrdao, growisofs, etc. in a way to be
> usable for a normal user?
>
> "k3b" never needs root privileges.  You might think about setting
> the SUID bit on cdrecord and cdrdao, although that's not necessary,
> too.

normal user access to recording devices has been broken many times in
the past by changes in the kernel API. It often doesn't work reliably
and therefore it's safer to run K3B as root. If you're in a multi-user
environment that's not an option, but if you're the administrator and
you know what you're doing I wouldn't see why not.

greets,
Wim