Re: xorg and nvidia drivers and removal of gdm etc.

H. S. wrote:
> I am trying to fully convert to Xorg in a Sid machine in my home
> network. The problem is something to do with nvidia-glx, which upon
> trying to be installed complains:
> ~# apt-get -s install nvidia-glx

>   nvidia-glx: Depends: xlibmesa-glu but it is not going to be installed or
>                        libglu but it is not installable or
>                        libglu1
> E: Broken packages
>
> So I have some queries regarding this whole process of shifting to Xorg.
> What does the above error really mean, since to install xlibmesa-glu
> requires me to remove gdm and other stuff:

> Also, with this new Xorg, do I still need the drivers by Nvidia (the
> ones I used to install with "module-assistant auto-install nvidia"?

There is some sort of dependency problem with nvidia-glx.  It probably
has nothing to do with Xorg because I get the same error with xfree86.
There is a discussion about this on an Ubuntu forum
<http://www.ubuntuforums.org/printthread.php?t=39675>.  The solution I
used is on page 2.  Someone (harshy) created a dummy libglu package
that "resolves" the dependencies.  Download it, install it using dpkg
-i filename.deb, and apt-get should stop complaining.  AFAIK you still
need the same drivers and should use the same techniques (i.e., m-a) to
install them.  Other than how to work around this problem, I don't
really know what's going on here.