Re: Ubunto vs. Debian

According to Thomas Hood,
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:51:57 -0500, Benjamin Sher wrote:
> > My point was simple: If you are going to get a derivative of Debian
> > or Red Hat or whatever, you will never have the perfect
> > compatibility that is often promised but cannot be delivered. You
> > will have it only with the original distro.
>
> Good point.
>
> Sometimes, though, compatibility with the original distribution
> ceases to be important because the original distribution has
> been superseded by something else.
>
> Debian has fundamental organizational problems which lead me to
> think that it won't be able to keep up with improvements in
> Ubuntu.  If that is so then there is a good chance that Ubuntu
> will replace Debian as the standard dpkg-based distribution.

Oh, please share.

I would think a collaboration of people around the world is
more likely to survive than a corporation.  After all, a
corporation has a payroll to meet.  It dies if it doesn't
make money.  It dies if it's corporate culture causes
developers to stagnate.  It dies if it seems to be a poor
citizen and unpaid developers stop contributing out of anger.
It dies if the nation it is chartered in decides to pass a
law against it.  It dies if principled developers will
contribute only to a nonprofit.  There are a lot more ways
for a commercial distribution to fail than for a distributed
fog of an entity to fail.

Debian.  It's everywhere.  And nowhere.