Re: Using a prism2 usb card on Sarge

Dave Johnston wrote:

> hi,
>
> I've just done a fresh install of Sarge using kernel 2.6.8-2-386, and
> now I'm trying to get a Prism2-based USB wifi adaptor working so I can
> connect the machine to the network as a normal client.
>
> My initial thought was to to 'apt-get install linux-wlan-ng' which went
> fine, up to the point when I found out that there are no precompiled
> binaries for linux-wlan-ng-modules on 2.6.8 yet.
>
> So I then installed hostap-utils instead, which installed fine along
> with hostap-modules. But this hasn't helped either - I don't know what
> to do next.
>
> Right now I'm at the stage where dmesg reports this when I plug the
> adaptor in:
> usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 4
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 5
> usb 1-1: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 1 but max is 0
> usb 1-1: config 1 has no interface number 0
>
> 'lsmod' lists hostap, but 'lsmod | grep prism2' lists nothing.
>
> Should I stick to linux-wlan-ng (which I hear is being phased out of
> 2.6) or hostap? What should I do now?
>
> Any help hugely appreciated.
>
> Ta,
> Dave
Hi Dave!

I went through this about a year ago - my Shuttle XPC box has built-in usb
wireless.  I wanted to use hostap, but usb support wasn't yet available.

I downloaded linux-wlan-ng source and built my own modules; currently use
linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre26 under a (custom) 2.6.12.3 kernel.  Works fine.

Regarding your current quandry, I think you meant 'lsusb | grep prism2'.
Try manually reading through the output from lsusb -vv.  My (AirVast) radio
doesn't say 'prism*' in the lsusb verbiage.

I can't offer any help about what dmesg says.  Keep trying: we're not
sending your "I got wifi working!" until you submit proof of success.

Roby