Re: How Can I Schedule A Perl Script?

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:48:49PM -0300, pvbedu-debian@yahoo.com.br wrote:
> I have a perl script that needs to be runned each 30
> minutes, how can I do this? Can I use cron? If so what
> would the configuration line would be? The path to the
> script is /home/user/doc/id.pl
> I'm running a stable sarge.

Yes, you'll use cron. To get a job to run at the 1st and
30th minute of every hour, type 'crontab -e' to edit your
own cron jobs (but see caveat below), then type

1,30 * * * * /home/user/doc/id.pl

The editor for cron files is whatever you've set in your
EDITOR environment variable -- emacs or vim or nano or
whatever.

Caveat: if this job needs to run with root privileges, then
you'll need to edit the global crontab in /etc/crontab.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org