Re: restore default permissions to /usr/bin /usr/sbin

Xeno Campanoli wrote:

phyrster wrote:

Hi Debianers,
Hmm.  Does that make us all Debianaire?

After an installation of Realplayer in /usr, I noticed that file permissions under this dir is changed. Particulary, users can't read into /usr/bin and I suspect that /usr/sbin is affected as well.
I've got 755 setting for these directories, so you change these back to that with

chmod 755 /usr/*bin,
but be careful, as if you have added another directory (unlikely) like /usr/xbin, it will affect that too, so more safe is:

chmod 755 /usr/bin
chmod 755 /usr/bin

The meaning for each digit is for user, group, and other, respectively, where the 4 bit is for read, the 2 is for write, and the 1 is for executable permissions. Hence group and other can read these directories in these cases, as well as execute from them. You probably want at least execute privileges in these directories, and read doesn't likely hurt as it's the same software as on hundreds of other machines around the world, but setting 711 would make group and other be execute only.

Could anyone tell me what is the default permissions of these three
directories in Sarge: /usr /usr/bin /usr/sbin. And preferably the command that sets permissions. chmod command is a bit scaring as I am still learning the most efficient parameters/options to run this command for such task.
I've got 755 for /usr too.

Thank you.
Glad to make a contribution.
xc

bxuef

--
Xeno Campanoli, xeno@eskimo.com, http://www.eskimo.com/~xeno
The Internet:  I'd rather have Al invent it than have George take it over.