Mouse resolution

I have a nice optical mouse with a 800 dpi (i think) resolution. When
using it in gnome or kde, the cursor move too fast even with mouse
acceleration (or whatever) set to 1x.
I tried to set the XF86 option "resolution" for the mouse, but it
doesn't work. In the documentation it is said that this option is not
alwaws supported (so maybe it is supporte only in unusual situations).

Does anyone know a solution to my problem?
Sluightly OT i think that gnome and kde should allow a mouse
acceleration smaller than 1.

Thnx
PAolo