Re: Upgrade and repartition advice

Ken Januski wrote:

Thanks for your sound suggestions. Unfortunately I don't currently have a CD burner so I knew that I wasn't going to get far with that strategy. Eventually I used Knoppix parted to set the Windows partition as ext3fs and just installed Sarge there. So now I have that and older version of Debian running on separate partitons. It' s not really what I want but it does give me time to experiment with Sarge and eventually figure how to merge them in some way.

If you want to upgrade your old Debian to Sarge and use the extra space by removing Windows, you could do this:

1. Boot into old Debian as root.

2. Add the Sarge CDs to the Apt sources using eg apt-cdrom.

3. Upgrade to Sarge using eg apt-get dist-upgrade.

4. Move parts of your filesystem to other empty partitions. Do this by mounting a partition, copying a branch of the filesystem to it and modifying /etc/fstab. Eg you could move the contents of /home from the / partition to the root of /dev/hdan. Rename /home to /home.old. Remount /dev/hdan as /home. If all works, you can delete /home.old.

If you are able to replace your old Windows partition with two ext3 partitions (eg using cfdisk), you could move both /home and /usr (or some other branch of the filesystem) to new partitions.

If you use cfdisk to delete your old Windows partition and create new partitions, you must format the new partitions using mke2fs.

Have a look at the reference manual http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/reference.en.html before you try any of this.

Chris.