Re: subtle difference between package managers

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Marty wrote:

It's not really a case of subtle differences between equivalent tools.  That
seems to be a common (and, I think hazardous) misunderstanding.

It is and it isn't; see below. :)

Aptitude is an apt front-end, which makes it a functional (proper) superset
of apt because it calls apt commands, while apt itself could be thought of
as a functional superset of dpkg because it calls dpkg, which does all the
dirty work.

Aptitude has two very different faces. The full-screen version is much
more akin to dselect and company. The command-line interface is
essentially a smarter and more featureful version of apt-get, and it was
that interface I was comparing with apt-get. I should have made that
clear, but I generally use the command-line interface and was thinking
about that.

Also, posters often advise "dropping-in" aptitude in place of apt-get,
and that's where the subtlety can bite you (although if you pay
attention to what aptitude is telling you, you can avoid being bit).

[snip]

So to understand the tools properly is to see them as a hierarchy of
packaging tools. As for docs I think the apt howto is your best starting point.

Agreed there. Just not a strict hierarchy, as it stands now.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall           :      "Depression is just anger without enthusiasm.
ahall@vitaphone.net  :       It's an empty beer bottle and no one worth