Re: Wireless PCI Cards - Which Work?

hi ya thomas

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Thomas H. George wrote:

> Actually I know my Netgear MA311 works but we just moved to a new house
> and the little antenna for the card was lost.  I purchased a Netgear
> WG31l ($50) and Sarge with a 2.6.11 kernel didn't recognize it.  The

wg311 works great... if its v1 which uses the atheros chipset vs the
common(newer) v2 which uses a different chipset

	madwifi driver

	and works with WPA client mode and as WEP ap mode

	http://Madwifi.net

> I did a Google search and found forlorn messages from someone trying to
> get a Linksys PCI card to work.  I have one of those too and wasted over

linksys tends to be broadcom chipset

and will work as a wireless client with the ndiswrapper driver

	http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
	http://www.Linux-Wireless.org/Wireless/Drivers/

> Is there somewhere a clear summary of what works and how?

no ...

best up-2-date summary...
	- check the device drivers and the supported cards/chipsets

	http://www.Linux-Wireless.org/Wireless/Drivers/

c ya
alvin